We’ve created a community larder for the Teign Valley. This is a place where people can donate food, and those in need of food can pick some things up for free.
Anyone can use it. We’d like to help reduce food waste, and we especially hope it will help people who are struggling at the moment.
Want to donate something?
We are currently short of:
- Tuna and other tinned fish
- Meat pies, tinned ham, curry, stew etc
- Tinned fruit
- Tea bags and instant coffee
- Toiletries, laundry and washing up liquid
We have plenty of:
- Tinned soup
- BAKED BEANS – we have loads! Please don’t give us more beans!
- UHT milk
Other items also welcome, but no perishable items please as we don’t yet have a fridge!
Please ensure donated items are before expiry date unless they are specifically intended for the Out of Date box, in which case place them directly in the OOD box. Scroll down for more information on where and how to donate.
How it works
- “Oh sugar. I’m out of sugar!” Or bread or whatever. You may just have forgotten to pick it up, or it may be hard to afford currently.
- Check our Facebook page. This is optional. But we’ll be posting regular photos of what’s available.
- Visit our larder location. It’s currently being stored at the Christow Church entryway to start, but it may be moved as we settle on a more permanent location. There are ‘mini-larder’ boxes at Bridford church and the Nobody Inn car park. You’ll always find the current locations on this page.
- You can donate, swap and replace as well. If you don’t happen to have anything, that’s perfectly fine. We want to help everyone. But if you can contribute or replace borrowed items, it’s most welcome.
If you or somebody in your household has been ill in the past few weeks, please do NOT donate. We’ll still need food in a few weeks. 🙂 Come back then.
If it’s a few things: Just leave them in a Larder box at the Church.
If it’s a largish amount of food and veg: Lovely! We don’t necessarily want to pile up too much there. Please drop it off next door at Corony Edward’s front door step. The house is Barn End, opposite the bottom of Church Lane on Village Road. If you have non-perishable items or fresh fruit and veg to donate please leave it in the lower (covered) porch. Google map.
If it’s just a few tinned items and dried goods: The following locations are hosting collection boxes for dried and tinned goods for our community food larder and Out of Date box. We are unable to accept donations of frozen or refrigerated goods. Fresh items are limited to bread, eggs and vegetables.
Donating Money: The easiest way to donate money currently is to contact our friends at Christow Stores and ask to donate there. Kay, the shop owner, has a list of needed supplies and will put together an order for the Larder in your name. This way you’ll be supporting a small local business and the Larder.
Government Food Boxes
If you’d like to donate your food box to the Teign Valley Larder but you can’t bring it to us, scroll to the bottom of this page and contact us. We’ll schedule somebody to come pick it up. See this page to find out how to cancel your food boxes, or schedule one to arrive.
Out of Date Box and Fresh Produce
We now have an ‘OOD’ box in Christow church porch. This is for food which has a long shelf life – tins, jars, packets of biscuits, rice, tea etc – and which is very near or over its ‘best before date’ but is still perfectly good to eat. We welcome such items in order to reduce the amount of food going to waste. Anyone can place items in or take items from the OOD box but do so entirely at their own discretion and risk.
Surplus fresh garden produce and baked goods in closed bags are also welcome, but nothing that requires refrigeration please. If you put fresh items in the larder please take a photo and post it to the Larder Facebook page so people know its there and can collect it while still fresh. If you take fruit or veg wash it thoroughly before use.
Our main larder is currently squeezed into the Christow Church entryway. We have mini-larder boxes in Bridford church porch and the Nobody Inn, Doddi. We wanted to start small with something we could get underway quickly, and this ticked the box. Over time we plan for the organisation to evolve, and find a home that makes more sense in the long-term. If you’d like to join us on that journey, please volunteer!
We do a daily check-in, clean and re-stock every evening. Post on our Facebook page or contact us using the form below to volunteer. https://www.facebook.com/groups/tvlarder/
We are 100% volunteer organised, so all cash you donate goes straight to providing food to people. We love food donations, but cash donations are actually more helpful! Here’s why:
- More of what people need: We get a lot of the same things donated over and over (beans!), while other things are almost never donated (toiletries). By donating money, you give us the ability to get things that are most desperately needed in our community.
- More food: We can buy in volume at better prices.
- More flexibility: Having cash on hand allows us to survive lean times when food donations dry up. Cash is also much, much easier to store in our very limited space than 137 cans of beans!
You can donate today by check (made payable to Teign Valley Larder).
We can also take donations via BACs:
Unity Trust Bank
Account name: Teign Valley Larder
Sort code: 60-83-01
To donate food or a government food box, or to get help with the Larder, please contact us below.
Funding through individual donors, volunteers, the Dartmoor National Park Authority, Christow Community Land Trust, Devon Communities Fund.